This roasted sweet potato and bell pepper recipe is delicious and heart-healthy. Plus, it’s skin-friendly too. Good news if you’re prone to skin allergies like Eczema or Psoriasis.
Best of all, it’s alkaline and rich in antioxidants, making it nutritious and great for gut health also.
Roasted vegetables are a great standalone dish in itself, so give that a go when you don’t feel like having animal-sourced protein.
What is alkaline or alkalizing?
Alkaline refers to a state of reduced acidity (in the body) and ‘alkalizing’ refers to where a substance can reduce or eradicate acidity. In scientific terms, it refers to having an alkali of more than 7.
I always recommend eating peeled potatoes – even sweet potatoes.
The skins contain natural chemicals and fertilizer chemical residue that can cause allergic reactions.
I used to love crispy roasted skin on potatoes. Now I keep the risk of inflammation reduced as much as possible. By using recipes like garlic mash, dips, and potato cakes instead, peeled potato dishes can be made more tasty and interesting.
Potatoes are high in Vitamin C and contain Alpha-lipoic acid which is said to destroy free radicals and reduce inflammation.
It’s also a good source of Magnesium which is an excellent supplement to help with sleep and reduce anxiety. Rest and a reduction or absence of anxiety are crucial factors in helping to suppress itchiness and as a result the inflammatory effects of a flare-up.
Roasted Sweet Potato and Red, Yellow PeppersCourse: Main, SidesCuisine: GlobalDifficulty: Easy
6 (baby) Sweet Potatoes
2 Sweet Bell Peppers
- Heat the oven to 200C.
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes and bell peppers into inch-long chunks.
- Place on a roasting tray and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Pour over olive oil and toast all the veggies until they are well coated. Roast for 20 minutes.
- Once vegetable are tender (test with fork), remove from oven and rest for 3 minutes.
- Pour over the Kale Pesto – about 2 tablespoons first. Using a serving spoon, toss the vegetables until they are all well coated. Add more pesto if it’s too dry or according to your preference.
- This dish also tastes delicious served cold as a light lunch or snack.
- Will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.